Talarm Hall celebrated its centenary in 2014.
Jim (Joffre Milton) Welsh was a descendant of the pioneers David and Eliza Welsh, who came to the Talarm Valley in 1868. In a1 handwritten paper, Jim states: The community hall was built by Turnbull Brothers in 1914. He also writes: The Presbyterian Church was situated near the home of Miss Emily Welsh, who whilst caring for her mother, Eliza, was also the Post Mistress of Lower Taylors Arm, now called Talarm. That small church, built prior to 1900 was wrecked by a gale and the services were held in Talarm Hall.
On 3 July 1914, the Nambucca & Bellinger News carried the following advertisement which was signed by W. H. Campbell as the hall's Honorary Secretary.
Grand Concert and Ball
Opening Talarm Public Hall, Lower Taylors Arm
Wednesday July 8th 1914
Single tickets2 3/-, double 5/-
The same newspaper reported on 17 July that more than eighty couples attended the concert, which would have been quite a crowd.
The community is incredibly fortunate to still have the original minute book, dating from the establishment of the hall. It shows that at the end of 1914 there was a Christmas Eve as well as New Year's Eve ball. The proceeds from the first was 6/- and the New Year's Eve ball brought in 7/6. There is an entry dated February 25th 1915 which notes that the hall committee received 10/6 for the hire of the hall by Verto's Pictures.
Socials were held regularly and were a constant source of income. Euchre was also played in the hall in those early days, and there were other activities as well. An entry dated 19th September 1917 records that the hall received ₤23.6.0 as a share of proceeds from a 'War Chest Day'.
As part of the hall's centenary celebrations, the management committee published a book: Telling the Tale of Talarm3. Oral histories were collected4, as well as photographs and documents that illustrate Talarm's changing times.
- The quote is from family documents held by Denise Delaney.
- ₤1 = $2.00; 1/- (one shilling) = 10 cents; 1d. (one penny) = 1 cent (values are approximate).
- The publication, Telling the Tale of Talarm, has received funding through the 2012 Cultural Grants Program of Arts NSW, an arts devolved funding program of the NSW government that is administered by the Royal Australian Historical Society.
- The collection of oral histories and establishment of the website was made possible through a grant by the Australian Government's 'Your Community Heritage Program'.
The Talarm Hall Management Committee gratefully acknowledges the support of Ion Newcombe (Wordright Editorial Services) in establishing Talarm Hall's website and the support of Nambucca Shire Council for auspicing the history project.